The Nelson School of Music (NSOM), as the PCBU (Person conducting a business or undertaking), gives total commitment to the promotion and maintenance of Health and Safety in the workplace.
We regard Health and Safety as a mutual responsibility of management and employees at all levels. NSOM acknowledges the significance of providing as well as maintaining a safe and healthy working environment for employees, students, volunteers, contractors, visitors and members of the public.
It is NSOMs primary Health & Safety objective to observe and comply with all relevant requirements of the 2015 Health and Safety at Work Act and its regulations, the 2006 Fire Safety and Evacuation of Buildings Regulation, all relevant and applicable Approved Codes of Practise, and Industry Specific Standards.
NSOM will maintain a comprehensive Health and Safety Management System to ensure that
- Responsibilities are clearly assigned and regularly reviewed against performance criteria
- Health and Safety objectives and are set and reviewed annually
- The Board members receive appropriate training to fully understand the business specific health & safety matters and are able to actively perform their duties
- All hazards are identified and all reasonable practicable steps are taken to mitigate the exposure to significant hazards, following the hierarchy of controls prescribed by the Act
- All employees, students, volunteers, contractors and visitors are advised of hazards they may be exposed to
- Provided equipment is checked regularly and maintained in safe condition
- All employees, volunteers and contractors are consulted and encouraged to participate in Health & Safety matters
- All accidents/incidents are accurately recorded as soon as possible
- All recorded accidents/incidents are investigated to identify the contributing factors, corrective action is taken to prevent recurrence
- A treatment and rehabilitation plan that ensures a safe, early and durable return to work is provided
- All employees, students, volunteers and contractors know the relevant specific emergency procedures
- A system of continuous improvement, including reviewing policies and procedures each year, is promoted
Every employee is expected to share in this commitment to health and safety in the workplace by:
- Observing all safe work procedures, rules and instructions
- Taking an active role in the school’s treatment and rehabilitation plan, to ensure an early and durable return to work
- Ensuring all incidents, injuries and hazards are reported to the appropriate person
- Actively participating in all matters regarding Health and Safety in the workplace