When completed the School will enjoy an enviable international and national reputation for the quality of its production infrastructure and its Auditorium’s brilliant acoustics.
The restoration and rebuild of the Nelson School of Music will encompass:
- Earthquake strengthening of the existing auditorium
- Replacing auditorium roofing with heritage-style tiles
- Strengthening the roof so heritage facade can be reinstated
- Tiered rows at the rear of the auditorium for better sightlines
- New comfortable seating throughout
- Silent air conditioning and heating throughout
- Preserving the brilliant acoustics of the auditorium
- Modern concert hall lighting and sound systems
- Impressive glass entrance foyer area
- Improved ticketing and toilet facilities in the Beatrice Kidson building
- Stage level access throughout the rear of the building.
- New build on the Rainey House site for a full size orchestral rehearsal room/recital theatre, new studios and green rooms, a library, classrooms and a remote learning/keyboard lab
- Environmentally controlled storage room for the Steinway piano.
When funding and consents permit, the exterior heritage façade of the original old auditorium will be instated and the Cawthron Organ will be restored.
I’ve been performing in the NSOM auditorium since I was a teenager and it has always been a favourite venue. The acoustic is perfect for solo piano or chamber music and this brings out the best in the musicians. The audience hears artists playing at their highest levels because of the venue. It is iconic and of immense value.”
- MICHAEL HOUSTOUN CNZM
Giving is Easy
Donors will need a receipt for tax purposes, so please ensure when you donate you tell us:
- The name the receipt should be made out to.
- The postal address we should send the receipt to.
Find out more about donating by contacting us at:
Email: [email protected]
P: 03 548 9477
How to donate
Fill in the donation form and we will send you payment instructions
Please use online banking to pay direct into our ASB account, the Nelson School of Music Redevelopment Appeal.
Account no: 12 3165 0297248 02
a) Your surname
b) The word ‘campaign’.
Please phone the Nelson School of Music office on 03 548 9477. Office hours are Monday 9:30-5:00, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 1:00-5:00, Friday 9:30-5:00
In person at the ASB Bank: Please make your donation at the Nelson Branch of the ASB, on the corner of Trafalgar St and Hardy St. They will reference your surname and the word ‘campaign’.
If you donate by direct credit or at the bank, please send your details to [email protected] so we can send you a receipt.